Back in November Max started a Fedora Store Special Interest Group with this post to the fedora-marketing mailing list:
The goals of the Store SIG are pretty straight forward:
- Making it easier for Ambassadors and event organizers to get swag in bulk, for a good price, and for reasonable shipping charges.
- Making it easy for users who just want one or two items to get them, again without crazy shipping fees.
- Making it as easy and automated as possible for designers to create new products.
- Not having to do any physical distribution or order processing ourselves.
- Providing an international service.
- Being transparent regarding money.
Most of these goals are all about making it easier to get Fedora “swag” out to events and LUGs for Fedora Ambassadors and help Fedora users easily acquire T-shirts, stickers and any of the other items people have proposed on the Store SIG page.
The SIG has had a few meetings before the holiday break and you can see some of the things we have discussed under the open action items and meeting summary page. Now that the holidays are over we are looking at moving forward with this once again. There are two major open items we need to take care of to really help move us along.
One, we need a mockup of the store.fedoraproject.org page we have in mind. There is a general requirements page to work off of to help with that – we just need someone more artistically inclined to help us with that.
Two, we need to make a choice for a vendor to work through for this project. We have a list of them on the Store SIG page. We would like to see some more pros and cons added by people who may have used these sources in the past.
Unfortunately I will not be at FUDcon to work on this, so we will be holding a short meeting on Wednesday, January 9th at 18:00 UTC in #fedora-mktg to go over some of our open items. Please drop by with comments on what we have so far – all input is welcomed. And even if you do not have time to join the SIG, feel free to edit the wiki pages with feedback on any of the ideas proposed so far or add comments on the vendor list we have now.